- Cut beef into slices, season with salt, dredge in flour and sear on both sides until a nice brown crust forms.
- Finely chop onions, carrot and celery.
- Cut bread into small pieces and combine with vegetables. Add bay leaf, peppercorns and season with salt.
- Line bottom of a casserole dish with bacon slices. Layer some meat, follow with a layer of vegetable-bread mixture. Repeat. Pour stock into the casserole dish, just enough to cover the second meat layer, no more. The whole thing shouldn’t swim! Bring to low boil over medium heat and take off heat.
- Preheat oven to 100C/212F, cover and bake for about two hours. Add sour cream and bake for another half an hour. Sprinkle with parsley shortly before serving.
- Peel and boil potatoes. Serve as side dish.
Prepare and serve beef stew in small clay pots. In this case cook potatoes in the pots together with the rest.
This beef stew is often cooked for different celebrations, for example for Easter.
Salads and Appetizers
Recipes for Russian salads, Mushroom Caviar, Russian eggs, etc.
Soups and stews
Borsch, Solyanka, Shchi and more recipes.
Recipes for Russian pancakes (bliny), pelmeni, fish and meat recipes.
Grilling and BBQ
Shashlik recipes for Caucasian style barbecue.
Recipes for Russian pierogi, Vatrushki, an apple pie and cakes
Recipes for Kwaß and Cranberry Water with Honey