This elegant station designed by the architect Alexei Dushkin won a Grand Prix at the New York World’s Fair 1938. The station named after a Russian poet Vladimir Majakovsky (1893-1930) impresses with its simple columns made of marble and stainless steel. Cupola mosaics show the achievements of the soviet aviation. As the German Army approached Moscow in 1941, Stalin held a speech here addressing the Supreme Soviet before sending Russian troops to the front.
Alexei Dushkin also designed the stations Kropotkinskaya (russ.: Кропоткинская) und Ploshchad Revolyutsii (russ.: Площадь Революции).
The main attraction of this station are life-size bronze statues arranged in pairs under 40 marble covered arches. They represent people who contributed to the success of the Soviet Union. Among them you find workers, soldiers, sailors, sportsmen, a mother with an infant as well as a girl reading a book.
This monumental station has many different platforms and the longest escalator of the Moscow Metro - 80 meters. The Ring line station is decorated with eight gold mosaics, huge chandeliers and 72 marble columns.
The main theme of this station is the friendship between Russia and Ukraine. That is very well shown on mosaic pictures. Marble covered walls, ornaments and golden chandeliers give this station a touch of glamour.