Lamb Shashlik in White Wine Marinade
Lamb meat is perfect for grilling and barbecue. It is believed that classic shashlik shall be made of lamb loin. Wine is also commonly used in marinades as it gives meat especially nice flavor. In this recipe, chicken and vegetables are alternately thread onto the skewers and grilled together.
|600 g (=1.3 lb)||lamb|
|100 ml (=0.4 cup)||dry white wine|
|120 g (=4 oz)||butter|
|400 g (=0.8 lb)||onions|
|2 bunches||green (spring) onion|
|300 g (=0.6 lb)||tomatoes|
|300 g (=0.6 lb)||egg plant|
|300 g (=0.6 lb)||bell pepper|
|1/2 bunch||parsley and dill (each)|
|sugar, salt, pepper (freshly ground)|
- Finely chop green onions and 200 g (=0.4 lb) onions.
- Cut lamb into small cubes (20-30 g (=1 oz)). Place in a clay pot and rub with sugar, salt and pepper. Combine with chopped onions and wine. Knead marinade into the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
- Slice remaining onions. Cut tomatoes, egg plants and bell pepper into cubes and thread onto skewers in alternating order.
- Thread lamb onto separate skewers.
- Turn skewers frequently while grilling to cook meat evenly.
- Slide lamb and veggies off skewers. Combine in a bowl carefully. Pour melted butter and some wine over. Sprinkle with lemon juice and chopped herbs.
Salads and Appetizers
Recipes for Russian salads, Mushroom Caviar, Russian eggs, etc.
Soups and stews
Borsch, Solyanka, Shchi and more recipes.
Recipes for Russian pancakes (bliny), pelmeni, fish and meat recipes.
Grilling and BBQ
Shashlik recipes for Caucasian style barbecue.
Recipes for Russian pierogi, Vatrushki, an apple pie and cakes
Recipes for Kwaß and Cranberry Water with Honey
Cabbage - cooking tipps and recipes.
Russian Easter Feast - Russian Easter recipes