This low-calorie dish is a tasty main course and can also be served as an appetizer. Fish steamed in carrot and onion marinade is very tender and juicy. It is especially delicious with white fish like cod.
|500 g (=1.1 lb)||fish fillets|
|100 g (=3.5 oz)||onions|
|200 g (=7 oz)||carrots|
|6 tbsp||vegetable oil (sunflower oil suggested)|
|1 tbsp||tomato paste|
- Wash fish fillets, rub with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan. Finely chop onions and sauté until translucent. Sprinkle with flour.
- Coarsely grate carrots, combine with onions and sauté for 7-8 minutes. Add 1-2 tbsp of water if necessary.
- Add tomato paste and a pinch of sugar. Sauté for another couple of minutes. Add 1/2 cup of boiling water and bay leaves. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Line bottom of another pan with fish fillets; follow with a layer of carrot-onion-mixture and repeat, the carrot-onion-mixture being the top layer. Pour the rest of sauce in the pan. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Serve with potatoes, rice or pasta.
Can also be served as a starter.
Salads and Appetizers
Recipes for Russian salads, Mushroom Caviar, Russian eggs, etc.
Soups and stews
Borsch, Solyanka, Shchi and more recipes.
Recipes for Russian pancakes (bliny), pelmeni, fish and meat recipes.
Grilling and BBQ
Shashlik recipes for Caucasian style barbecue.
Recipes for Russian pierogi, Vatrushki, an apple pie and cakes
Recipes for Kwaß and Cranberry Water with Honey