In Russia, pumpkin grows in zones with mild and continental climate. Pumpkins are harvested in autumn and used in many recipes. Very popular and easy to cook are, for example, little juicy pumpkin pancakes with honey and sour cream.
|400 g (=0.9 lb)||pumpkin|
|200 g (=1.6 cup)||wheat flour|
|100 ml (=1/2 cup)||milk or whey|
|250 ml (= 1.1 cup)||sour cream|
|pinch of backing soda|
|butter or oil for frying|
- Peel and grate pumpkin on a fine grater.
- Separate egg whites and yolks. Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff.
- Combine egg yolks, honey, milk, flour, baking soda and salt. Make smooth creamy batter. Carefully stir in whipped egg whites.
- Add grated pumpkin and mix well.
- Heat butter or oil in a pan. Pour a little bit of batter on the pan using a tablespoon. Cook both sides until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream.
Variation: use oatmeal instead of flour.
Salads and Appetizers
Recipes for Russian salads, Mushroom Caviar, Russian eggs, etc.
Soups and stews
Borsch, Solyanka, Shchi and more recipes.
Recipes for Russian pancakes (bliny), pelmeni, fish and meat recipes.
Grilling and BBQ
Shashlik recipes for Caucasian style barbecue.
Recipes for Russian pierogi, Vatrushki, an apple pie and cakes
Recipes for Kwaß and Cranberry Water with Honey
Cabbage - cooking tipps and recipes.
Russian Easter Feast - Russian Easter recipes