This light variation on the famous traditional dish is a wonderful treat on hot summer days.
|400 g (=0.9 lb)||beets|
|400 g (=0.9 lb)||potatoes|
|100 g (=3.5 oz)||dried fruit|
|1||hard boiled egg|
|100 ml (=0.4 cups)||sour cream|
- Wash dried fruit, put in a small pan, add cold water, bring to boil and cook until tender.
- Peel and grate the beets. Bring water in a big pan to boil, add salt, vinegar and the beets. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Peel and cut potatoes into fine pieces. Put in the pan and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add dried fruit (with liquid) into the pan. Allow borsch to cool.
- Wash and finely chop the cucumber. Add to the borsch shortly before serving. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Quarter the hard boiled egg. Chop fresh herbs. Pour borsch into soup plates, garnish with egg quarters, add sour cream (app. 1 tbsp pro portion), sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.
Salads and Appetizers
Recipes for Russian salads, Mushroom Caviar, Russian eggs, etc.
Soups and stews
Borsch, Solyanka, Shchi and more recipes.
Recipes for Russian pancakes (bliny), pelmeni, fish and meat recipes.
Grilling and BBQ
Shashlik recipes for Caucasian style barbecue.
Recipes for Russian pierogi, Vatrushki, an apple pie and cakes
Recipes for Kwaß and Cranberry Water with Honey