In the European part of Russia the strawberry season begins around mid-June. Many Russians grow strawberries in the gardens of their country houses datcha or pick sweet aromatic berries in a nearby forest. In Russian, big garden strawberry is called "клубника" [klubníka] and small wild strawberry "земляника" [zimliníka]. The Russians love making (and eating) strawberry jam. But a cake with fresh strawberries is also irresistible.
|100 g (=1/2 cup)||sugar|
|150 g (=5.3 oz)||butter|
|250 g (=2 cups)||flour|
|2 tsp||baking powder|
|1 tbsp||vanilla powder|
|1 tsp||lemon juice|
|500 g (=1.1 lb)||strawberries|
- Separate egg whites from their yolks. Blend egg yolks with sugar and 1/2 tbsp vanilla powder.
- Add soft butter, flour and baking powder. Mix well until crumbs are formed. Set 2 tbsp of crumbs aside.
- Clean and quarter strawberries.
- Grease a baking or a springform pan. Line bottom with crumb dough.
- Preheat oven to 180C/355F and bake the bottom of the cake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Blend egg whites with lemon juice and 1/2 tbsp vanilla powder. Don’t whip!
- Take baking pan out of the oven. Arrange strawberries on the bottom of the cake. Sprinkle dough crumbs over and cover with the egg white-mixture. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Substitute strawberries with other fruit or jam. If using jam as a filling, spread jam evenly over the dough right in the beginning. Sprinkle dough crumbs over. Bake 25-30 minutes, top with egg white-mixture and bake for another 5 minutes.
Salads and Appetizers
Recipes for Russian salads, Mushroom Caviar, Russian eggs, etc.
Soups and stews
Borsch, Solyanka, Shchi and more recipes.
Recipes for Russian pancakes (bliny), pelmeni, fish and meat recipes.
Grilling and BBQ
Shashlik recipes for Caucasian style barbecue.
Recipes for Russian pierogi, Vatrushki, an apple pie and cakes
Recipes for Kwaß and Cranberry Water with Honey
Cabbage - cooking tipps and recipes.
Russian Easter Feast - Russian Easter recipes